Albury Wodonga History

Beechworth Shire Hall 1888Beechworth Shire Hall 1888Inside Albury Railway StationInside Albury Railway Station

 

Albury Wodonga History at a Glance

1824 Hume and Hovell's arrived at the Murray River.
  Hume caved "Hume River" onto the Hovell Tree at "the Crossing place" (November)
1835 First cattle arrived at the Murray.
  William Wyse established Mungabareena Station for Charles Ebden.
1836 First white settler sets up a store and market garden.
  Wodonga Station was established.
1838 First known map of Albury created (Thomas Townsend).
1840 Albury’s first pub opened (the Hume Inn).
1846 Flour mill commenced operation.
1850 Albury primary school opens its doors.
  Albury’s first general store started trading.
1851 Discovery of Gold (on the Black Range).
1854 The township of Wodonga was established.
1855 Arrival of the first paddle steamer from South Australia (October).
1856 The first edition of the Border Post (news paper) was printed.
  The Bank of NSW commenced operations in the area.
  Wodonga post office officially opens. (June)
1857 Construction of the original Saint Matthews Church began.
1858 St. Brigid's Catholic Church was built.
  The wiring of the Melbourne / Albury Wodonga telegraph was completed.
1859 Original Saint Matthews Church construction was completed.
1860 The Old Courthouse was built.
  Burrows House (Originally the Crown Lands Office) was built.
  Albury Pioneer Cemetery commissioned.
1861 Union Bridge opened, connecting Albury and Wodonga.
  Albury’s first hospital was opened.
1862 Albury Gaol was completed and opened.
1865 Methodist Church opened commenced services.
1872 St Patrick’s Church was officially blessed and opened.
1873 The North Eastern Railway reached Wodonga, connecting it to Melbourne by rail.
1875 The Albury Post Office reopened on the site of the old post office.
1876 Wodonga officially became a Shire (Separating from Yackandandah Shire.)
1877 Botanic Gardens opened. First Elm Trees planted.
1879 Enlargements to Saint Matthews Church halted and were never fully completed.
1880 The Great Southern Railway connected Sydney and Albury by rail.
1881 Albury Railway Station was completed.
1882 Albury Gas works constructed, town lighting converted to gas.
1883 The Murray River rail bridge was completed. Melbourne line extended to into Albury.
1884 Albury Iron Foundry built
1886 Albury Waterworks built.
  Telegraph office constructed.
1891 Wool sales reach large scales.
1898 Union Bridge replaced.
  Telephone exchange opened.
1906 First bus service between Albury and Wodonga.
  St David’s Presbyterian Church commenced services.
1908 Building of the former Albury Town Hall (currently the Regional Art Gallery).
1916 Albury township gained Electricity.
1917 Murray River flooded to highest levels in 100 years.
1918 Albury District Hospital opened its doors.
1919 Construction of the Hume Dam began.
1920 Albury High School began in the old hospital building.
1925 The War memorial on Monument Hill was finished.
1927 The Regent Theatre opened.
1929 Farmers and Graziers Woolstore constructed (now the Australian Tax Office).
1930 Radio broadcasts in the area started.
1936 The Hume Dam was completed.
1938 The St. Brigid’s building was demolished, after serving as a schoolroom.
  Aerodrome laid out.
1940 Bonegilla Camp created. (For army use)
1944 Liberal Party of Australia was created by R. Menzies and others at Albury.
1945 Mercy Hospital opened.
1947 Bonegilla commenced operation as a Migrant Reception and Training centre.
1950 Army completed its withdrawl from Bonegilla.
  Bonegilla capacity increased two fold to provide for an increase in arrivals.
1954 Wodonga District Hospital opened.
1961 Third Union Bridge constructed.
1962 North East standard gauge line in Victorian opened.
1964 Regular air services to Melbourne and Sydney commenced.
  Television broadcasts began in the area.
1965 Army is provisioned part of Bonegilla (Block 18)
1966 Training of National Servicemen resumes at Bonegilla.
1967 Bonegilla becomes the last Migrant Reception centre in Australia.
1971 Bonegilla ceases operation.
1973 Wodonga Shire was granted rural city status and renamed the Rural City of Wodonga.
1982 Improvements to trains and rail cut travel time to Albury station.
1986 The former Farmers and Graziers Woolstore was converted to the local Tax Office.
1991 Saint Matthews Church rebuilt after being destroyed by fire.

 

 

 

Content Suggestion? [Email Us]
RSA + RCG = NSW + VIC RSA + RCG = NSW + VIC RSA + RCG = NSW + VIC Food Safety Supervisor online

Have You Visited

Announcement
Thinking Real Estate? Think Ian Ritchie!Buying and selling real estate can be daunting and choosing the right agent can be hard. Call us for a chat: 6041 2411View Ian Ritchie Real Estate »
Contact · Add Your Event · Add News · Add Your Business · Site Map · Website © 2006-2017 Stralia Web