Albury Wodonga News
Funding to Support Community Volunteers in NSW
Minister Keenan said volunteers played a very important role in disaster preparation and recovery efforts.
“Since 2015, more than $13.5 million has been made available to NSW as part of the joint Commonwealth-State $52 million National Partnership Agreement (NPA) on Natural Disaster Resilience,” Mr Keenan said.
“Many natural disasters are unpredictable, but we can be better prepared. That’s why we’re working in partnership with state and local governments to reduce the destructive impacts of disasters like bushfires and floods.”
Minister Grant said community organisations played a vital role in the State’s disaster response and recovery capability.
“NSW community volunteers worked tirelessly following the devastating fires in February and severe flooding on the North Coast in March and April,” Mr Grant said.
“Training is essential to keep their skills current and to encourage additional volunteer participation.
“The successful organisations will now have extra resources to ensure they are better prepared for whatever Mother Nature has in store.”
The funding will support the following organisations:
- The Salvation Army for training SAES Team members (volunteers) to provide safe emergency catering and support to communities during emergencies;
- The Adventist Development and Relief Agency to provide emergency accommodation training;
- The Australian Red Cross for a variety of training and workshops for emergency management volunteers and leaders;
- Anglicare to train 700 volunteers for disaster recovery to extend capacity across the state; and
- The Disaster Recovery Chaplaincy Network (co-ordinated by the Uniting Church) to conduct seven, two-day disaster recovery chaplaincy courses for up to 56 new chaplains across NSW, and other training for existing chaplains.
This article archived 6 Nov 2017
Charities, service providers and groups assisting bushfire-impacted communities...
In a 2018-19 report published by Life Saving Victoria, 18% of drowning...
Labor welcomes the announcement on the weekend of Government support t...
Millions of hectares of bush have been burned. Dozens of lives have been...
RSPCA NSW is providing relief and recovery assistance to animals that...
Think Conveyancing Albury Wodonga
The Bended Elbow
Karsilama Villa Wodonga
Quality Resort Siesta